Melvin E. Andersen, Ph.D., DABT, CIH
Charles E. Hamner, Jr. Distinguished Fellow
Sc.B., chemistry, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, 1967.
Ph.D., biochemistry and molecular biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, 1971.
Certified Industrial Hygienist, American Board of Industrial Hygiene.
Diplomate, American Board of Toxicology.
My research focuses on developing biologically based models for the uptake, distribution, metabolism, and biological effects of drugs and chemicals and their application to safety assessments and quantitative health risk assessments. In recent years, my research emphasis has been on developing mathematical descriptions of control of genetic circuitry and the dose-response and risk-assessment implications of these control processes.
Selected Publications - click to view
- Wetmore, B.A., Wambaugh, J.F., Stephen S. Ferguson, S. S., Sochaski, M.A., Rotroff, D.M., Freeman, K., Clewell III, H.J., Dix, D.J., Andersen, M.E., Houck, K.A., Allen, B., Judson, R.S., Singh, R., Kavlock, R.J., Richard, A.M., and Thomas, R.S. (2011), Integration of Dosimetry, Human Exposure and High-Throughput Screening Data in the Toxicity Assessment of Environmental Chemicals, Toxicol Sci. 2011 Sep 26. [Epub ahead of print].
- Andersen, M.E., Clewell, H.J., III, Carmichael, P.L. and Boekelheide, K. (2011). Food for Thought……Can a Case Study Approach Speed Implementation of the NRC Report: “Toxicity Testing in the 21st Century: A Vision and A Strategy”. ALTEX, 28, 175-182.
- Bhattacharya, Q., Zhang, Q. and Andersen, M.E. (2011). Double-negative feedback loops as a common design motif in the transcriptional networks regulating cell fate. Int. J. Des. Engin., 4, 41-57.
- Bhattacharya, S., Zhang, Q. and Andersen, M.E. (2011). A deterministic map of Waddington's epigenetic landscape for cell fate specification. BMC Syst. Biol., 27, 85. Highly Accessed Article.
- Thomas, R.S., Clewell, H.J., III, Allen, B.C., Wesselkamper, S.C., Wang, N.C.Y., Lambert, J., Hess-Wolson, J.K., Zhao, Q.J., and Andersen, M.E. (2011). Application of transcriptional benchmark dose values in quantitative cancer and noncancer risk assessment, Toxicol. Sci., 120, 194-205.
- Andersen, M.E., Clewell, H.J., Bermudez, E., Dodd, D.E., Wilson, G.A., Campbell, J.L., Allen, B.C. and Thomas, R.S. (2010). Formaldehyde: Integrating Dosimetry, Cytotoxicity and Genomics to understand dose-dependent transitions with an important endogenous compound.Toxicological Sciences 2010; doi: 10.1093/toxsci/kfq303.
- Zhang, Q., Bhattacharya, S., Andersen, M.E., and Conolly, R.B. (2010). Computational Systems Biology and Dose Response Modeling in Relation to New Directions in Toxicity Testing .J. Toxicol. Eviron. Health B: Crit. Rev. 13, 253-276.
- Rotroff, D, Wetmore, B., Dix, D., Ferguson, S., Clewell, H., Houck, K., LeCluyse, E., Andersen, M., Judson, R., Smith, C., Sochaski, M., Kavlock, R., Boellmann, F., Martin, M., Reif, D., Wambaugh, J. and Thomas, R. (2010). Incorporating Human dosimetry and Exposure into High-Throughput In Vitro Toxicity Screening. Toxicological Sciences, 117, 348-358.
- Andersen, M.E. and Krewski, D.B. (2010). The Vision of Toxicity Testing in the 21st Century: Moving from Discussion to Action.Toxicol Sci. 2010 Jun 23. [Epub ahead of print]
- Zhang, Q., Pi, J., Woods, C.G., and Andersen, M.E. (2010). A systems biology perspective on Nrf-2 mediated stress response. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol., 244, 84-97.
- Bhattacharya, S., Andersen, M.E., Conolly, R.B., Thomas, R.S., Kaminsky, N.E., and Zhang, Q. (2010). A bistable switch underlying B-cell terminal differentiation and its disruption by the environmental contaminant 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxindioxin. Tox. Sci., 115, 51-65.
- Clewell, R.A., Ross, S.M., Gaido, K.W., and Andersen, M.E. (2010). Assessing the relevance of in vitro measures of phthalate inhibition of steroidogenesis for in vivo response. Toxicology in vitro, 24, 327-334.
- Ryman J., Cesta, M., Brody, A., Shipley-Phillips, J., Everitt, J., Tewksbury, E., Moss, O., Wong, B., Dodd, D., Andersen, M., Bonner, JC. (2009). Inhaled carbon nanotubes reach the mesothelial lining of the lung and stimulate pleural immune and fibrotic responses in mice. Nature Nanotechnology, 4, 747-751.
- Thomas, R.S., Bao, W., Chu, T-M., Bessarabova, M., Nikolskaya, T., Nikolsky, Y., Andersen, M.E., and Wolfinger, R.D. (2009). Use of short-term transcriptional profiles to assess the long-term cancer-related safety of environmental and industrial chemicals: I. Development of predictive statistical models). Tox. Sci., 112, 311-321.
- Barbara A. Wetmore, Ph.D.
- Brett A. Howell, Ph.D.
- Chad Deisenroth, Ph.D.
- Cory Strope, Ph.D.
- Dan Kemp, Ph.D., DABT
- Edward L. LeCluyse, Ph.D.
- Harvey J. Clewell III, Ph.D., DABT
- Jeffrey L. Woodhead, Ph.D.
- Jerry Campbell, Jr., Ph.D.
- Kristina Wolf, Ph.D.
- Melvin E. Andersen, Ph.D., DABT, CIH
- Merrie Mosedale, Ph.D.
- Michael B. Black, Ph.D.
- Michelle Miller, Ph.D.
- Miyoung Yoon, Ph.D.
- O. Joe Trask, B.S.
- Patrick McMullen, Ph.D.
- Paul B. Watkins, M.D.
- Pergentino Balbuena, Ph.D.
- Qiang Zhang, M.D., Ph.D.
- Rachel Church, Ph.D.
- Rebecca A. Clewell, Ph.D.
- Sudin Bhattacharya, Ph.D.